Home > Departments > English
VisionTo be Bicultural Scholars whose competencies in English Language and Literature acts as a bridge to understanding and connecting with different cultures and experiences of the world.
MissionTo develop competent and confident users of English Language in speech, writing and representing and nurture thinkers who can engage with the community and world at large.
Overview & SubjectsThe aims of the English Language and Literature Syllabuses are:
- To enable students to discover the joys of reading literary words and become aware of new ways of perceiving the world around them
- To develop students to be competent and confident users of the English Language in both speech and writing through quality teaching, effective instructional and co-curricular programmes and exposure to different platforms of expression e.g. StudioArden, oratorical competitions
- To develop students into independent readers who engage personally with a variety of texts and draw connections between self, texts and the world in order to develop intellectual, emotional, socio-cultural and global awareness
- To develop students’ interpretive, analytical and critical skills as well as linguistic competence
- To nurture their empathy and sensitivity to, and concern for, fellowmen and contribute to the development of the values desirable for living in a multi-racial and multi-cultural world
School-based Enrichment & Competitions
|Mass Integrated Reading Programme||All levels||
|Writing Workshops/Competitions||All levels||
|Oral Communication Workshops/ Oratorical Competitions (public speaking, broadcasting, debates)||All levels||
|Falcon: writing for publications||All levels (Selected students)||
|Literary Appreciation||All levels||
|Studio Arden||All levels||
|University of New South Wales International Competitions (Reading)||Sec 1- Sec 3||
|English Language Week||All levels||
|Bridging Programme: Enrichment classes to supplement skills taught in the formal curriculum||Sec 3- Sec 4
Name of competition: EZ COE EL Public Speaking Competition
Loy Heng Dax (2J) participated in Public Speaking Competition and won 2nd prize.
Name of competition: S Rajaratnam Leadership Series- Storytelling Competition.
Kyawt Kyawt San (2G) won 3rd prize in the competition.
Name of competition: Good Neighbour Award
Anglican High School won the School Award with the most number of nominations.
Chew Jinh Hao (1J) received the Good Neighbour Award (Student Category)